STONECREST—Arizona’s restaurant is closing for good. It will not be part of Gov. Brian Kemp’s reopening Georgia’s economy. Restaurant officials announced the closing today, May 2, saying that business dried up after restaurants across Georgia were restricted to drive-through or pick-up customers due to COVID-19.
The in-dining Arizona’s, located among other businesses that form a ring around The Mall at Stonecrest, had served the city for 15 years. Officials say that its model did not fit with drive-through service but the restaurant tried to adapt anyway.
Arizona’s closed toward the end of March after trying unsuccessfully to do carry-outs. Officials said there wasn’t enough take-out traffic to keep the doors open with the restrictions and they say the restaurant could not rebound after being shut down for weeks.
Stonecrest Mayor Jason Lary was saddened to hear the news.
“It’s a sad day in Stonecrest for one our leading restaurants to not reopen,” said Lary. “We’re going to do everything in our power from a city and economic development standpoint to fill that void.”
Arizona’s had made a comeback after buying new equipment and making a number improvements including retraining following a negative health inspection last year.
Here is the closure announcement that Arizona’s submitted to On Common Ground News:
To our valuable guest, community partners, family and friends:
Arizona’s Restaurant has been a local Stonecrest area favorite for over 15 years. While the love for our Happy Hours, Weekly Specials, Evening Jazz and Sunday Brunch are popular, it’s our great menu, customer service and ambiance that has made us a staple in our community.
Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with those affected by novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) around the world for it has had an impact on the community where we do business. These continue to be difficult times with the COVID-19 crisis affecting everyone, directly or indirectly.
In the past month, many restaurants adopted a new model for service while observing the mandate from our state officials to close dining rooms. While we put forth an effort to follow this mandate, this model proved to be unsuccessful for our brand and led us to make a difficult decision to permanently close our doors. This unfortunate decision not only impacted our community, but our employees and families.
We appreciate you allowing us to be apart of your family and friends dining experience over the years. We have hosted many celebrations and events that have made your dining experience memorable and enjoyable, and for this we say “thank you.” We will miss serving our community and loyal guest and ask that you keep our restaurant family in your prayers.
The Arizona’s Restaurant Family
Read the original story on OCGNews.com.