DeKalb County Government is partnering with local faith leaders and community groups to distribute 5,000 boxes of Georgia-grown fruits, vegetables and chicken hindquarters on Saturday, Nov. 4.
“Food insecurity is a countywide issue, and our faith leaders and community partners are helping us provide relief to struggling families throughout DeKalb,” DeKalb County CEO Michael Thurmond said.
Additionally, residents will receive cookies, fruit juice boxes and cereal.
On Saturday, Nov. 4, beginning at 9 a.m., food distributions will be held at the following locations:
- Plaza Fiesta, 4166 Buford Highway NE, Atlanta GA 30345
- Saint Phillip AME, 240 Candler Rd. SE, Atlanta, GA 30317
- New Birth Missionary Baptist Church, 6400 Woodrow Rd., Stonecrest, GA 30038
- Beulah Missionary Baptist Church, 2340 Clifton Springs Rd. Decatur, GA 30034
- Shy Temple CME Church, 2030 Wesley Chapel Road, Decatur, GA 30035
- Big Miller Grove Missionary Baptist Church, 3800 Big Miller Grove Way, Stonecrest, GA 30038
- Berean Christian Church, 2201 Young Road, Stone Mountain, GA 30088
- The Covenant Church, 1700 Corey Blvd., Decatur, GA 30032
- Rehoboth Baptist Church, 2997 Lawrenceville Highway, Tucker, GA 30084
In addition to the churches, DeKalb County is partnering with the Chamblee Coalition for Homelessness and La Vision Newspaper.
The county is utilizing federal American Rescue Plan funds to purchase the produce and chicken.
Since May 2020, DeKalb County has distributed approximately 135,000 boxes of food.