DECATUR, GA— DeKalb County Government is partnering with local faith leaders to distribute 5,000 boxes of 99 percent Georgia-grown fruits, vegetables and chicken hindquarters on Saturday, Sept. 16.
“Hardworking families continue to struggle to keep food on the table,” DeKalb County CEO Michael Thurmond said. “DeKalb County and our faith partners are working hard to provide families relief and lessen the impact of high food prices.”
Additionally, residents will receive cookies, fruit juice boxes and cereal.
On Saturday, Sept. 16, beginning at 9 a.m., food distributions will be held at the following locations:
- Saint Phillip AME, 240 Candler Rd. SE, Atlanta
- New Birth Missionary Baptist Church, 6400 Woodrow Rd., Stonecrest
- Beulah Missionary Baptist Church, 2340 Clifton Springs Rd., Decatur
- Shy Temple CME Church, 2030 Wesley Chapel Road, Decatur
- Big Miller Grove Missionary Baptist Church, 3800 Big Miller Grove Way, Stonecrest
- Berean Christian Church, 2201 Young Road, Stone Mountain
- The Covenant Church, 1700 Corey Blvd., Decatur, GA
- Rehoboth Baptist Church, 2997 Lawrenceville Highway, Tucker
The county is utilizing federal American Rescue Plan funds to purchase the produce and chicken.
Since May 2020, DeKalb County has distributed approximately 130,000 boxes of food.
Read the article on On Common Ground